Dressing for Breastfeeding – Top Tips from the Bshirt
Multi award-winning, The Bshirt has been created by two mums passionate about improving women's confidence while breastfeeding in public. Proven to help new mums breastfeed more confidently, more comfortably and ultimately for longer, it’s been designed by mums for mums.
As this week marks National Breastfeeding Week (20th – 26th June), co-founders and mumpreneurs Lisa and Philippa share their top tips with us for what to wear when breastfeeding…
- We recently launched with innovative shopping destination site for mums NINERY and they have a huge selection of breastfeeding friendly, fashion-forward clothing brands we love. The Annie Jumpsuit is a prime example, with a bold print and practical crossover top allows easy access for breastfeeding. It can be dressed up with heels or worn with trainers for a day-time look.
- Let there be light! Not so much something for your wardrobe hangers, but we absolutely love the Meemoo Baby Meelight. It makes night time feeding easier, meaning you can keep light to a minimum and not have to use bright lamps or turn the light on.
- Best for Breastfeeding: Bravado - beware wires and anything that can pinch - go for soft stretchy bras in the early days to let your boobs grow and expand without getting pressed on by a tight-fitting bra.
- Breastfeeding is very important to the health of our society. When breastfeeding, a mother is not just providing food for her child, she is also protecting her baby from infections, allergies, obesity and diabetes. She is protecting herself from breast cancer, ovarian cancer and heart disease. With such huge benefits, we really truly believe that all women who can and want to breastfeed should be able to do so confidently and with ease, whether at home or out and about. That’s why one of the top picks for breastfeeding mummies has to be the Mezaya sling. Understated, elegant and functional, it makes feeding on the go super simple and seamlessly blends in with your outfit. Sharing similar values to ours, Mezaya was founded by a fellow Devon mum, with carriers that will compliment your wardrobe, whilst also enabling you to be hands-free!
- One of our top picks is of course (!) has to be The Bshirt. It differs from other breastfeeding tops in that it is clip free, zip free and button free. It is designed to be worn as a thin vest top underneath your favourite clothes and can also be worn on its own because it looks just like a normal vest top. It allows baby to get full access so you can achieve good positioning and latch. We have feedback from mums that the Bshirt has helped them to breastfeed confidently, with 83% of our customers surveyed saying they felt more confident breastfeeding in front of other people when wearing their Bshirt. We have been busy adding colours to the collection, so it can be paired with lots of different looks. Joining the collection, we have launched seashell pink and red sky at night.
Perfect breastfeeding friendly pairings…
We recommend going through your pre-pregnancy wardrobe and look for the following clothing:
- Low cut necklines - if you can pull the neckline down below your bust you can breastfeed in - but beware - over time this will ruin the top so be warned!
- Crossover or wrap style tops and dresses - these are PERFECT for breastfeeding in
- Tops or dresses with real buttons - just unbutton and feed
- Tops that you can pull up over your boobs - these are things like jumpers and blouses that are perfect for layering
To celebrate National Breastfeeding Week, The Bshirt have provided us with an exclusive 10% discount code: bosombuddies. Valid from 20th June – 18th July. Find out more information on The Bshirt and view the collection, visit www.thebshirt.co.uk.